Self Acceptance, Learning to Love Yourself and The Selfie Debate | Happy International Women's Day ❤

20:35









Happy International Women's Day to all the beautiful women of the world!
Today I wanted to tell all the women reading this that you are all so beautiful. And I know that sometimes it's really difficult to love the body we have, and love the little flaws about ourselves but you are really all so wonderful and it's our flaws that ultimately make us into the wonderful, unique, majestic creatures we are. So love your flaws, love your hormonal skin that breaks out at any glimpse of stress, love your long legs, love your short legs, love your thighs, love your bellies, love your arms, love yourself. After all, our bodies spend their entire lives loving us, it's about time we loved them back. Your skin heals after it is damaged, your hair grows back after it is cut, your body loves you so much and protects you. So love your body back and love yourself because you are worth more than you could ever imagine.
In celebration of international women's day, i shot a few self portraits and filtered through all the shots to find the ones that I was happy with. On the topic of self portraits and images of one self in general, it's too often that I see women and girls around me get made fun of, or discouraged because of the new era of selfies - why not celebrate it? Why not celebrate self appreciation, your bodies are art and if you want to take a selfie, take a god damn selfie. I saw this quote the other day and thought it summed up my feelings towards this pretty damn well.

"November 19th, 2013,‘Selfie’ was named the Word of the Year by the Oxford DictionaryPseudo-intellectuals everywhere cried about the ‘death of the English language’Because God forbid modern colloquial speech be recognised as valid.Time Magazine refers to ‘millenials’ as the ‘me me me generation’Selfish, all we care about is personal gratificationLazy, entitled, shallow narcissists.A picture of a girl taking a selfie on her phone is used for the coverBecause our selfishness can be summed up in the fact that we like how we look enough to document it.We are consumed, they tell us, with our self image.Everything is about us.Me-me-me.With the addition of every word to the dictionary,‘Hashtag’. ‘Perf’. ‘Sexting’. ‘Totes’. ‘Selfie’,The ‘me-me-me’ generation continues to make it all about ourselves,And we should, they tell us, weep, We should weep because we are entitled,Because all we care about are selfies and parties and Instagram,Because this is the generation that will one day run the world,And for that, we should weep, Because all we are is ‘me-me-me’.Let me tell you something.Every year, university tuition will be 2.3% more expensive for MY GENERATION,MY GENERATION reports the highest levels of anxiety and depression than ANY other generation,15% more of US than YOU will go to university, But 46% of MY GENERATION won’t find a job until over a year after law school,MY GENERATION, on average, is $47,628 in debt.58% of girls in MY GENERATION feels like they are the wrong weight,95% of people with eating disorders are part of MY GENERATION,And MY GENERATION has a million dollar industry telling us that we are not good enough,That we are ugly, lazy, and entitled,And anything we do to be financially successful, Or less stressed,Or beautiful, god dammit,Is in vain.So pick up your phone,Pick your favourite filter,And take a goddamn selfie.You deserve it for having to grow up in these times. "

-drops the mic-
....

Jess
xxx

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Love this post! All women should definitely be confident in their own skin and love themselves for who they are :)

    tonixox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah im so glad you like it! and yes - agreed! hope you are well!! xxx

      Delete
  2. Love this post, international women's day is such an important day! Beautiful photos as well :)

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much petal! and yes it should be international women's day everyday!! xxx

      Delete
  3. Your blog is amazing! I do really like it! I know how much time it requires, but you did a really good job! Keep doing it!) I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quote really sums up a lot, especially the eating disorder/anxiety/depression stuff. Great post! I love the pictures too:)

    Joksie || WEAREMONOCHROME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i absolutely loved the quote and knew I had to include it in this post! and thank you so much - I'm so glad you liked this post xx

      Delete

Subscribe